Thursday, November 22, 2007

It sure is a good thing......

THAT I KNOW HOW TO LAUGH AT MYSELF!!!

Today was a Thanksgiving that I will never forget. Today I realized that my dream of owning and running a bakery should NEVER happen! Where exactly do I begin? First of all, Jeff and I decided to have a nontraditional day of Thanksgiving food. We chose to have a brunch of Broccoli Quiche, Fruit Salad, Sausage Egg Casserole, and Homemade Cinnamon Rolls. Our brunch went great. The only problem was the glaze for the cinnamon rolls, the powdered sugar was not mixed in well so the rolls had little white balls all over them. Not a big deal, they tasted great anyway. Here is where the "real fun"begins. Later in the afternoon, while Joel slept, I had two hours to get supper and desserts made (Chicken pot pie filling, homemade biscuits to go with the filling, sugar cookie cut outs, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and homemade blueberry muffins). I did a lot of prep work the day before, so I thought that I could do SOOOOO much more in those two hours than any one person should do. I WAS WRONG!!! First I put two batch of pumpkin cookies in the oven. Next I started boiling the chicken. (A little history....Jeff had a fire on our stove last week. He accidentally melted a candle on one of the burners and the wax went up in flames. Wax went everywhere. I still have wax down in the burners. You can here it bubbling when the stove is on. One certain burner, my biggest and most used burner, makes our smoke detectors go off every time ....and man are they LOUD!!!) Back to my chicken. I needed to use that "waxed" burner, I just told myself that I would be careful. I was determined to not set off the smoke detector. Yep, you guessed correctly. I set it off. I panicked because Joel was sleeping. In my panic I turned off the OVEN instead of the burner. I am standing there waving my towel under the smoke detector and the thing won't stop, because the burner was still on. I ran to the stove and turned the burner off, then went back to waving my towel. All was quiet soon. I started cutting sugar cookies. Having a great time. The timer went off for the cookies in the oven. I checked them. After 10 minutes they were still not done. I ended up setting that timer THREE more times before I realized that I had turned the oven off in my panic. We all laughed so hard. I am still laughing!! I wish my reasons for laughing were done, but they are not. Keep reading. My pumpkin cookies were "finally" done. I next put in the sugar cookies. The timer went off 10 minutes later, but the cookies were not quite done yet. I forgot to set the timer again and I lost track of time. I ended up making VERY HARD, DARK BROWN cookies. For me anything not golden brown is burnt!! Now I felt as though I had ruined all the cookies. I still laughed though, because I never lose track of time when I have something in the oven. I was sure at this point that I should just stop baking and cooking, but I couldn't I had a family to feed. I told myself to be more careful and I meant it!! Next was the blueberry muffins. I promise you I have NEVER done this to any other muffin in my entire life. My blueberry muffins ended up coming out of the oven with huge holes in the middle. They were awful looking. We ended up throwing several away. Again I laughed!! I still had biscuits to bake. I wore the stupid timer on my shirt collar so that I would not mess these things up. They didn't burn, but they still weren't the best that I have made. The chicken pot pie filling did turn out great. My one success for the afternoon. God knew that I probably would have cried at this point if one more thing went wrong. My family was wonderful. They thanked me for everything!!
I am just thanking the Lord that I had many GOOD laughs today!!!
I hope that tomorrow goes better. I am going shopping at 3:30 in the morning and it is SNOWING outside!!!! I just pray that I make it home in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment