Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My week of firsts!

This has been such a big week of firsts for our family. Some of them were great.....some were NOT so great!! Let me give you a grand tour of our firsts.

  1. This Christmas was our FIRST one spent with just us, no other family. We had no agenda for the day. We were able to go with our own family flow. The last child woke up at 9:30 and we didn't start opening presents until almost 10:00. The day was wonderfully relaxing. As much fun as it was though, we would not want it like this every year. We did miss being with people.
  2. Jeff bought his FIRST big gift for me. He bought me a Wii. I am so excited. I told him he doesn't have to buy my another big gift, for the next 15 years!
  3. We went shopping as a family, on the day after Christmas, for the FIRST time ever!! I usually go buy myself on that day. We ventured out to spend some of those wonderful gift cards that we were given.
  4. While out shopping, our FIRST all out tantrum was thrown in a Christian bookstore, of all places! I have never seen any of my children act like this in public. I have seen other people's children do this, but not mine. Joel was out of control!! He acted as though he was a spoiled rotten child that was possessed! I carried him out of the store, while he was screaming his head off at me. I was so embarrassed!! I know that I was being judged as a parent....and they all thought I was horrible!! Get this, for the rest of our shopping day....he acted like an angel!! Go figure!!
  5. My daughter has begun to be embarrassed of me. My FIRST time feeling so hurt, at least in this manner. It seems that the way I laugh, dress and talk can sometimes be embarrassing to my children. I am so glad that it is not everyday, it would just kill me to be rejected like this often. I am growing some tougher skin through this experience. (I hate to admit it, but I remember doing these same things to my own mom. I had no idea how bad it made her feel though. I was only thinking of myself!! I would never want to be a kid again. I enjoy my wisdom that I have gotten through the years!!)
  6. On New Years Eve, the children saw the ball drop, a big FIRST! They had no idea what the ball even was.
  7. At 2:00 this morning, I was out shoveling snow! Definitely a FIRST for me!!

Happy New Years!! I hope that you all have a wonderfully blessed year!!

2 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Enjoy your Wii!!!

I am so sorry that your are hitting the "embarrassment stage". I was the WORST for my family. I was so embarrassed of my parents who my friends LOVED. They grew that tough skin too and didn't let it "affect" them.

In fact, my favorite story (to this day) is the one where my dad went yelling "girls, girls" through the mall as he "stalked" my friend and I. Oh I was so mortified and she was so embarrassed too. We were in middle school "hanging" at the mall and we were upstairs. There he was downstairs running after us yelling our names and "girls...girls...wait for me."

I laugh as I type it.

He had NO TOLERANCE for my attitude of embarrassment.

mylifewith5kids said...

Mary, that was a great story. I could learn a lot from your dad. (How to REALLY embarrass my child and how to not let it bother me when I do:) Thanks for the lesson!! HAHA
God has been taking me through a process in the past two years or so. I have been learning how to truly accept who God made me. It was a TOUGH process, but I am so much wiser now. I used to think that I was worthless, that all my friends were so much better than me. I only saw all their good points and ALL my bad points. I was so unsure of myself. I am becoming more and more aware each day how much everyone struggles with not feeling accepted at some point. We are all very much alike. We ALL sin and wish that we didn't. Then we think that no one would like us or accept us if they truly knew who we really are. I am convinced that if I truly accept myself, then my children will truly accept me and love me (some day). I will just work on getting tougher skin until that day!!

Post a Comment