Sunday, December 28, 2008

If you love them.....

DON'T buy them a Visa Gift Card!!!

My four older children were each given one last year for Christmas. We went out the next day and they each spent some on their card. To make things a little less confusing, Jeff and I bought the cards from the children so that they could put the remainder of their gift in the bank and save it. I planned on using the cards at Walmart for groceries. The cards got set aside for a few months. When I finally went to use them, the Walmart thingy said that they were not recognized. The dear cashier tried many different things, but it would not take the cards. I went home and called the card company. I was able to talk to a really sweet lady, who told me that nothing was wrong with my cards. She told me exactly how much was on each card and then told me what the problem was. I was told that the amount due can not be for more than what the card has on it. The card is not at all like cash. I could not swipe a card to get that money toward the total. She told me that I had to use each card for a seperate purchase. I was told to take calculator with me when I went to use them. This all meant that to buy groceries I had to REALLY think and plan ahead....not my two favorite things to do when there is a long line of people behind me. Just incase you are not getting the total picture I want to explain further. In order to use the card that had $22.43 on it, I had to either count out just enough groceries to add up to 22.43 or have the cashier total up my entire purchase and then use my calculator to subtract 22.43 from the total, pay the difference and fianally I could swipe my little gift card for $22.43 and it would supposedly take it!! These little gift cards were beginning to look like gift curses. I set the cards aside for several more months, why not....the expiration date wasn't until 11/09! This weekend I got brave. I brought Jeff with me to figure out the total and I would swipe the card. My dear husband did an excellent job. He would grab something out of the cart and I would tell him the price. He added up everything so nicely. We went to check out and it was for 30 cents over the cards limit. NO PROBLEM... I just handed the thirty cents to the fun cashier and then I swiped my gift card curse. PROBLEM!! The thingy did not recognize my card again. The dear cashier tried everything she could think of. I even paid more with cash and tried for a lesser total. NO GO! I was not happy with our little gift curse. I went home and called the card company again. A new problem now called MONTHLY SERVICE FEES!!! While I was to intimidated to use these cards the card company was charging me money!! We lost over $22.00 in fees. It would have been more if one of the cards had not been almost all used up. I have to go spend the remainder of the money before the first of the year or I will lose another $2.50 per card. Now do you see why you should NEVER give someone you love one of these cards??


A little side note....guess what I received in the mail the day all this happened. ANOTHER VISA GIFT CARD!!! I am taking it to Walmart and buying me a Walmart gift card for the same amount!!! That way I can spend it hassle free whenever I want!!!

3 comments:

Pegsy said...

LOL! I actually just heard about these cards on Christmas Day from my sister-in-law! She had a similar problem with the service fees from a card she received last year. Apparently, those service fees are now illegal in Canada. It's sad the way these companies look for ways to rip you off...

Pegsy said...

P.S. Check out my latest post - I think you'll like it!

Jennifer said...

I am sorry you had such a hard time with the gift cards.
Not all gift cards have service fees :)
Hope you have a great week and keep up the great work on your blog

Post a Comment